Tuesday 15 January 2008

"Fuck Your Hat!!"

Went down to The End in Holborn last night with a couple of mates. It was indie/new rave night and I was a little apprehensive at first seeing as it's not really my scene even though I do enjoy listening to some of that music. My preconceptions turned out right; tons of angular haircuts, skinny jeans and neon clothing. I'm open minded so I didn't let it affect my night.

Lightspeed Champion

Turns out the secret live guest was Lightspeed Champion. He started out playing his own songs but then kicked it up a notch when he started doing covers. For some reason, someone behind decided that the gig could not go on any longer without yelling "Fuck Your Hat!!". There was an audible laugh from the crowd and Lightspeed referred to it as "Someone said something racist about my hat".

Devonte Hynes & Fred Les

I particularly enjoyed when Fred Les was invited onstage for a seemingly impromtu Slow Hands by Interpol. Not having the words, Fred whipped out his Blackberry and Googled the lyrics. Gotta say I've never seen that done at a gig and it was pretty well done. Buddy Holly by Weezer and Heart in a Cage by The Strokes were also offered to a grateful crowd. For some reason though we only got to hear the intro of C'mon C'mon by The Von Bondies before he made his exit.

Fred Les performs from a Blackberry

I'd also like to mention the Lightspeed Champion drummer was exceedingly fit. They have one more fan! If you're into chilled out indie definitely check out his upcoming album Falling Off the Lavender Bridge.