Thursday 22 May 2008

The future of music distribution?


Hey readers (lol) I'm back after finishing my exams. I was going to pack this whole blogging thing in but had to reconsider after all the thousands of requests to get back into the saddle. "What will will do without you?", "Please never stop", and "The baby's yours" were the most common comments on the subject of my cessation of Oversaturated. Now that I have a lot more time on my hands you can expect more frequent updates (than once a month).

First on the agenda; The future of music distribution. Read an interesting article here about a company called Sellaband which uses the power of Crowdsourcing to launch new bands without the commercial and creative straitjacket of a record deal. The method is beautifully simple; Music fans on Sellaband invest 10 dollars in an artist they want to back. If the artist gets to 5,000 believers they get $50,000 and then Sellaband steps in to get the band to record an album in a real studio.

I think it's a really simple idea that while not perfect, could potentially be the basis for quite a good model for upcoming bands to kick off. Imagine a subsection of Itunes dedicated to a concept like Sellaband. Could change the music industry.

I also really like the idea I read here about Apple looking to charge say a $100 premium on an Ipod that would give you "all you can eat" music downloading service. I doubt it will ever come to fruition; there's a million legal/technical hurdles not least the slice of the pie the record companies get and whether the downloads are DRMed and how long you're able to keep them. But the idea that for one-off payment of an extra $100 strikes me as genius and one that I would definitely subscribe to.

SellaBand wins $5 million in Series A

Warner Music seeks to offer 'all you can eat' digital music