Friday 1 February 2008

Juno Movie Review


"A comedy about growing up...and the bumps along the way."

Aware as I am that this movie has been out in the UK for a while, I still think if I've taken the time out of my busy schedule to watch it, I might as well review it. Juno is a quirky film about a 16 year old girl Juno MacGuff who unexpectedly falls pregnant. She eventually decides to give up the baby to an adoptive couple and the story progresses as things start to unravel. The film earned notoriety pre-release because it's screenplay is the brainchild of a stripper/first-time film-writer.


First and foremost I have to acknowledge the performance of Ellen Page for her excellent portrayal of Juno. Even though Page is not called upon to show huge emotional range over the course of the film, she fills out the character of Juno with a real truth and you can imagine Juno as a real person. The rest of the cast including Jennifer Garner and Jason Batemen give solid performances as well, but Miss Page really shines. My only slight gripe is that Michael Cera yet again gives the EXACT SAME Arrested Development/Superbad awkward male teen performance he always gives. I love Michael Cera and I don't dispute he plays the role exceptionally well, but I must admit it's getting a little tiresome seeing him play the same character over and over. Especially this time without the funny lines.


For me this was a good solid feel good film. From the opening credits this flick has Indie written all over it. Juno is fairly unique in terms of style and this gives it a fresh feel when placed next to the typical lazy Hollywood Rom-com we're usually fed. Special mention must be made for the film's soundtrack. While I would not go as far as to say it is exactly to my personal taste, it matches this film to a T. Totally spot on for this movie It is a perfect example of how the correct marriage of music and film can work beautifully.


After hearing all the critical acclaim, for me this film is just a touch overrated. No argument when it comes to Performance by an Actreess in a Leading Roles, but the Oscar nods for Best Film and Original Screenplay are a bit of a stretch. For the first half of the film, the dialogue of every teenager simply isn't believable in the slightest. In my opinion Juno uses way too much witty incisive adult language for her age and it breaks the illusion of reality.


"I'm telling you I'm pregnant and you're acting shockingly cavalier..." and "Yes, hello, I need to procure a hasty abortion...I’m sorry, I’m on my hamburger phone and it’s kind of awkward to talk on. It’s really more of a novelty than a functional appliance..." While they are delicious lines, they're totally unrealistic out of a 16 yr olds mouth. Also, calling this a comedy is also a but much. I chuckled maybe twice, but never laughed out loud. Criticisms aside, I really enjoyed this intelligent "comedy" and I definitely think that if you like your movies quirky with razor-sharp dialogue you'll love this.

8/10